“You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” Paul Sweeney

Sunday 18 September 2011

What I'm Reading: The Perks of Being a Wallflower -First Impressions

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Stephen Chbosky



So I just bought this book yesterday in Waterstones. Why did I buy it? Well, not that I mean to sound shallow, but this book's film adaptation is being released in 2012, and it stars Emma Watson (Harry Potter), Logan Lerman (Percy Jackson), Nina Dobrev (Vampire Diaries) and many more brilliant actors. Now, although I said this at the risk of sounding shallow, in an attempt to redeem myself, I will admit that I am the kind of person who always tries to read the book before watching the film. And so I have been searching for this book everywhere, and found a single copy in Waterstones.

The book is written by Stephen Chbosky and follows a teenage boy going by the alias 'Charlie' as he sets out as a freshman in high school. He is writing letters to an unknown person, who he calls 'friend' as he describes various scenes of his life. I've heard a lot of good things about this coming of age novel, and I'm super excited to finally have it!

So far I've read the Part 1 of 4 (just over 40 pages) and I am loving it! Charlie writes to us, the reader, in a form that is easy to read. The sentences flow easily and if you are anything like me and Charlie, and long, dull descriptions full of complex vocabulary sometimes baffles and bores you, this book is perfect for you. Chbosky skips over all the pages and pages of descriptive waffle that other authors include, and simply includes the plain truth; Charlie's experiences.

Charlie is one of the sweetest protagonists I have come across; he seems to be so innocent as he sets off into high school. He doesn't experience much, simply witnesses. He stays in the background and observes. Through his letters, we follow Charlie through school, his Advanced Level English, his family life including his sister's relationships, his brother's football scholarship, his friendship with brother and sister Patrick 'Nothing' and Sam, who is Charlie's first crush, and the star of his fantasies. Charlie's first 'real' party includes him getting high, albeit accidentally, and discovers the power of the perfect song at the perfect time.

So far, I'd say that this is definitely a book to read. Any teenagers out there would most likely adore this as much as I have so far; Charlie's honesty is great fun to read and is reminiscent of many teenager's experiences and thoughts. I specially love how Charlie just tells us everything that happens, and what he thinks, but without judging the people he's talking about. It definitely makes me think that the world would be a lot nicer if people were more like Charlie - understanding. 

I can't wait to read on to Part 2 and the rest of the book - I will keep you updated!!

No comments:

Post a Comment